Doctor Richard B. Malkin was born in 1954 and grew up in Witbank and Johannesburg. He obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of Cape Town in 1976 and graduated from the University of Pretoria as a Medical Practitioner with an MBChB (Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery) in 1982.
He went on to open a practice in the small Eastern Cape town of Berlin, establishing 10 clinics throughout the province and managing the health of 6 000 employees. This experience changed Doctor Malkin’s professional direction and influenced his passion in medicine as he grew to understand the healthcare needs of employers and employees in the South African market.
In 1993, he played an important part in a medical team that helped him realise numerous achievements:
- Establishing a doctor owned hospital, the Linksfield Park Clinic;
- Doctor Malkin performed as the General Manager and eventually became the Managing Director;
- During this time, Doctor Malkin presented papers at various conferences on “The Patterns of Surgeons’ Operating Frequencies” and as a shareholder of a hospital, “The History of the Private Hospital Industry in South Africa”;
- He was appointed to the Board of The Independent Private Hospital Network and the Board of Hospital Association, representing all the private hospitals in South Africa;
- Founder director of The Council for Health Service Accreditation of Southern Africa “CHSASA”.
Doctor Malkin founded Workplace Healthcare in 1997. One of the businesses launch projects involved the screening of 28 000 employees for Transnet (Spoornet) over 12 months as well as providing Occupational Health in the mining sector to a number of mines, quarries and brick yards in the small to medium sized operations. This helped the company gain valuable experience in mobile occupational health screening.
Later, Workforce Healthcare merged with The Workforce Group. Doctor Malkin is the Managing Director of Workforce Healthcare and his current model is an integrated physical and psychosocial wellness solution to workplace wellness which looks after over 60,000 employees across the country.
email@example.com | 082 552 0832